Big Trees in Public Areas
West Virginia University property
US Corps of Engineers near Elk Garden in Mineral County
- Champion Horse Chestnut – Tree is located 100 ft. east of Armstrong Hall on downtown campus
- On WVU Core Arboretum property
- Champion Scarlet Oak – Tree located on the south side of the Strausbough Trail 300 feet from the arboretum entrance.
U.S. National Park Service property near Harpers Ferry
- Champion Allegheny Serviceberry – Tree is in Robert W. Craig Campground on High Timber Trail about 100 yards on left from trail entrance at campsite #70. ID tag is on tree.
Pipestem State Park near Pipestem
- Champion Japanese Chestnut – From US 340N from Harpers Ferry take right on Chestnut Hill Road, go appromimately one mile to White Trail of the Appalachian trail, go west on trail to creek bottom, tree on left.
Watoga State Park near Hillsboro
- Champion Fleshy Hawthorn – Tree is in the parking lot of Canyon Rim Center.
- See many tree species at the Arboretum across from McKeever Lodge.
U.S. National Park Service property near Sandstone
- Brooks Memorial Arboretum
Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge property near Moundsville
- Champion Mountain Silverbell – Tree is about 200 yards below Sandstone Falls.
North Bend State Park near Cairo
- Champion Butternut or White Walnut – Tree is on Captina mainland tract.
- Champion American Elm – Tree is on Captina mainland tract
Greenbrier State Forest near White Sulphur Springs
- Champion Black Walnut – Tree is slightly downslope of Giant Tree trail and close to the play ground end of trail.
- Champion Cucumber – Tree is in hollow below the Giant Tree Trail.
- Champion Black Oak – Upslope from Giant Tree Trail and close to paved road that connects a picnic area to playground area.
Cathedral State Park Near Aurora
- Champion White Pine – Tree located between cabin #8 & #9.
Carnifex Ferry State Park near Summersville
- Old Growth Eastern Hemlock – Giant Hemlock Trail
Monongahela National Forest
- Old Growth Trees – Pierson Hollow Trail
- Gaudineer Scenic Area near Cheat Bridge – Red Spruce
- White Pine Old Growth near Neola
- Shaver's Mountain Botanical Area, Red Spruce & Hemlock – located along the eastern edge of the Otter Creek Wilderness near the community of Sully. From Elkins, drive 12.2 miles east on U.S. Highway 33 and turn left on Sully Road (State Road 12). If you are coming from Seneca Rocks, drive 22.7 miles west on U.S. Highway 33 and turn right on Sully Road. Proceed north on Sully Road for 4.8 miles, then turn left on Forest Road 162, which will be a gravel-surfaced road. The trailhead for the Mylius Trail is located 0.1 mile ahead on the left and is marked by a sign. Follow the Mylius trail west/northwest up the side of Shaver's Mountain for about 1.8 miles. At the top of Shaver's Mountain is the intersection with the Shaver's Mountain trail. Turn right and follow the Shaver's Mountain trail north for about 1.2 miles. The botanical area is not marked, but the big trees will be obvious. The roads and trails leading to the site are shown on the Harman and Bowden 7.5' quads, but the botanical area is not marked on the map.